Friday, June 26, 2015

Organized vs Grace and Trust

This last week or so as we have gotten "settled" into PNG life again. I have been struck by how welcoming the nationals* have been to us as we see them around center.  Even if I can't remember their names, they sure remember mine and even our whole family names.  Some even ask about Meliah and how she is doing at university.  I wish I had their memory.
 Even when things are so unsettled in my life, it is a good feeling to be acknowledged that we were missed.  Someone said before we left the states, that we were going back home.  In some ways yes, but in other ways the states will always be home at least until heaven.  

When we were packing and sorting on the other side of the world I was really thinking that I really had this down and I was so organized.  Boy was I wrong!!!  When we landed in Cairns, Australia I had in my mind that we would open up these certain suitcases and that's all. Some said luggage would be left in Cairns to be flown up later on an SIL* cargo flight that is scheduled for early part of July. I even put codes on the tags so I knew which ones were which.  Yes, I can be a little OCD when it comes to being organized.  So much for great intentions,then reality strikes.... So after rummaging through the "right" tagged luggage and not finding what someone was looking for, some of the other suitcases had to be opened.... (cue JAWS music). Finding what was misplaced did happen but with that success came the suitcases exploding and then trying to get things back in the correctly labeled one and to the correct weight.  Think of the foam things that jump out of something as you open the case up, then trying to get them to go back in.    When we are arrived in Ukarumpa and for the most part thinking we came with the correct luggage. Which we did for the most part but there was some things that didn't make it here that would of been nice to have. (ie. another pair of shoes, long pants, different toys, etc).  So it is the life of a missionary in TRANSITION!!!

The words that keep coming back to me and the Lord tries to keep hammering me over the head with this is; TRUST and GRACE.  It may be starting to sink in some.... 


T= truth"this is hard"
R =rest "even if that means naps, when you don't normally    take them."
U=uncomfortable, new beds, new sounds, new environment
S=sanity "ask for help"
T=totally surrender to God. "No matter how well you think    you are prepared."


G=growing and stretching the comfort zone over and over        again
R=respecting other cultures
A=all powerful "no matter what Gods time is on time all the    time."
C=communicate, communicate
E=expectations set low for yourself and others and for    circumstances around you.  

*Nationals=people of Papua New Guinea
*SIL= the organization we are under while in Papua New Guinea. Summer Institute of Linguistics. 

No comments:

Post a Comment