Saturday, July 23, 2011

Chimney Fire and Land Cruiser Fun!

Before you all panic, it wasn’t in our chimney, but our fellowship family’s. They live on the other side of Ukarumpa and in the early morning hours, their motion sensor, and then their fire alarm woke them up and their house was full of smoke.

On Monday, since we were waiting for our new house to become available, and I wasn’t working at my job yet, I walked over to see if I could help.

As it turned out, there was plenty of demolition happening and I was able to jump in and help. The next days were spent reframing the wall that had burned, and putting a window in where the fireplace & chimney had been.


Once we got the new window framed, they ordered glass from Lae and I volunteered to go down with Loren and his young son to pick it up. It’s a good idea to travel in groups and so he was glad to have me along. Also, now that Ruth and I had lived here for a little over a week, we had thought of a list of things we wanted to pick up from the “big city” that isn’t available here.

The best part of going to Lae with Loren was that he let me drive the land cruiser we had rented from the Ukarumpa autoshop! Driving in PNG and especially in Lae is a totally different experience. The roads are full of potholes and giant ruts. And the streets are packed with cars and pedestrians.
Again, I had high hopes of showing some video, but the internet barely works, but I did get a picture of the land cruiser.


No comments:

Post a Comment